Tuesday, October 16, 2007

J Skogan and his goat

J Skogan once had a goat. He doesnt have a goat now. I can say that because he once had a goat and once you've had a goat, you wont want one again. Well, anyway, not like J Skogans goat. That goat thought it was a chicken. Well, for a while anyway. That's because the goat lived with the chickens.
J Skogan was a little worried about his goat because, well it was acting like a chicken. I mean it would scratch the dirt and eat things. All sorts of things. Like dirt. and rocks. But the day it tried to crow, J Skogan decided he should do something about that.
So he decided to build the goat a pen of it's own.
J Skogan went to the country store and bought some tall wire fencing. Then he started to put in long fence posts. It was a lot of hard work, but J Skogan kept at it until the last fence post was in.
All this time the goat kept looking at J Skogan and watching the progress that was being made. (The goat was acting like a very curious chicken). Finally the goat's curiosity got the best of him and he jumped from the chicken coupe right up to the top of that last fence post. All four little, dainty feet were poised on that tall fence post and he looked J Skogan right in the eyes as if to say: "What cha doin, J Skogan"?
Well, it was right then and there that J Skogan knew he was in trouble. Because now, that goat was acting like a goat. And what do you do with a goat?
You can't tie them out. They get all tangled up. You cant let them roam around. They eat EVERYTHING. J Skogan put the goat back in with the chickens.
J Skogan thought about the goat for some time. He thought about it for so long that he got hungry. He decided to go in and have some bread and cheese.
hmmmm. Goat's milk cheese. How good it was.
So, the very next morning J Skogan took his goat down the road to where the "goat lady" lived. She had a whole herd of goats. They looked like big hairy bees. They swarmed all over her yard. Big ones, little ones, black, brown, white. The place was a mess. There wasnt a blade of grass anywhere. Just dirt and goats. The goat lady told J Skogan to come back in three days.
In three days J Skogan got his goat. She had a smile on her face. J Skogan thought it was because the goat was happy to be home. And he couldnt blame her.
But did J Skogan get any milk to make cheese?
no.
What he got was two more goats.

6 comments:

dulcigal said...

!! I love this. Although I have not personally owned a goat, I have used goats via "Rent-A-Ruminant". They truly do eat everything.

Lovely photo, great look, and you have a delightful way of sharing your story...I'll be visiting again!

Laura Warren said...

No goats please!

I babysat my girlfriend's goat for three weeks. Faithfully, every day I went over and fed the goat.

The day before my girlfriend came home, the goat escaped and was nowhere to be found. Where is the world would a goat go?

My husband called the Kitsap Humance Society and sure enough they had picked up the goat.

After calling around, I borrowed a kennel, loaded it in my car and went to bail the goat out of jail.

One problem, the goat had escaped from the pound. But it was my lucky day, the pound found the goat again.

After 24 hours of goat chasing and $65 in pound fees, I finally got the goat home.

Moral of the story? Don't babysit a goat!

Laura Warren
Net 2.0 team

krl2pt0 said...

"Rent-A-Ruminant" -- wow -- sounds so much more interesting than a riding lawnmower.

shirlee said...

Skogan--what an absolutely great story, and blog! Keep us entertained, Lady!

shirlee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChickenMom said...

Wow! How creative are you?! I wanted goats until my neighbor's male goat head butted me in the gut...ya, that kind of changed my mind right then and there. (Luckily, my belt buckle buffered the blow). So a couple minutes later when the goat came at me again I jumped behind my husband out of complete fear and the goat rammed him in the knee...the bad knee...sorry hubby. But at least I didn't get it again! :)