Sunday, October 21, 2007

Social Bookmarking

The other night I downloaded the del.icio.us buttons to my home page and am now using that for all my favorites. It's interesting to see the other people who have bookmarked the same things. And, the fact that you can see what others have saved is a bonus. Several times I found other things I wanted to save from their list of saved things.
I have a soap business, so all of my favorite soap sites are now in my delicious account. Some of the things I saved, two or three other people have saved. Other things, thousands of people have saved.
Libraries could use this as a tool among coworkers and also to serve their patrons. Book groups, Teen clubs, researchers, circulation, paging, etc.. I can see how it would benefit each branch. Each library is unique to it's community. They know where their publics interests lie and therefore could save things pertinent to their neighborhood. Common questions that need answers from the web could be answered with just a click of a button.

No comments: